USGenNet, Inc.

COUNTY LIST

- Erie County -

Benevolent Societies, Institutions
and Charities

Most were gathered from "Paul's Dictionary of Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Tonawanda and vicinity." pub. Peter Paul Book Co., Buffalo, N.Y.; 1896.

  • * Asylum of Our Lady of Refuge
  •  
  • * Bavarian Benevolent Association
  •  
  • * Bohemian Benevolent Association
  •  
  • * Buffalo Children's Aid Society and Newsboy's and Bootblack's Home
       29 Franklin Street.
  •  
  • * Buffalo Electrical Aid Association
       Organized February 20, 1888
  •  
  • * Buffalo Friendship Home
  •  
  • * Buffalo Orphan Asylum
       403 Virginia Street
  •  
  • * Catholic Benevolent Legion
  •  
  • * Catholic Home
       64 Franklin street
       For young girls out of employment.
       In charge of the ladies of the Sacred Heart of Mary.
  •  
  • * Christopher Columbus Mutual Benefit Club (Italian)
      Organized February 4, 1883
  •  
  • * Church Charity Foundation
      This society has general authority to purchase real estate for charitable purposes, and is not restricted to any particular charity, but can inaugurate and support any number of asylums for any class of unfortunates.
  •  
  • * Deaconess Home
      2578 Main street
  •  
  • * District Nursing Association and Diet Kitchen
       344 Delaware Avenue
       A charitable organization to aid the worthy poor. The kitchens are located at 307 Seneca Street, 1192 Niagara Street and Westminster House on Monroe Street near Broadway.
  •  
  • * Dr. Pierce's Invalid Hotel
  •  
  • * Elsaess-Lothringen Benevolent Association
  •  
  • * Evangelical Church Home (for Buffalo & vicinity)
       Broadway (Forks station), near city line.
  •  
  • * Evangelical Lutheran St. John's Orphan Asylum
       Organized March 6, 1864
    The girls department is located at 280 Hickory Street, the boys' department at Sulpher Springs.
  •  
  • * Erie County Almshouse
  •  
  • * Excelsior Marine Benevolent Association
       Rooms, No. 11 Main Street
  •  
  • * Fitch Creche
       159 Swan Street
  •  
  • * German American Benevolent Association
  •  
  • * German Benevolent Association
  •  
  • * German Deaconess Home
       27 Goodrich Street
    This is a home where poor persons may secure temporary treatment when sick. There is also a training school for nurses in connection with the Home.
  •  
  • * German Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum
       Dodge Street near the Parade.
    Organized in 1864, and under the management of the Sisters of St. Francis. They have 200 orphans in the institute.
  •  
  • * German Evangelical Church Home
      Broadway and city line.
  •  
  • * Grand Army of the Republic Bureau of Relief
      Police Headquarters, Franklin, cor. West Seneca Street. Furnishes assistance to needy soldiers and their families.
  •  
  • * Grant and Loan Association of the Charity Organization Society
       Makes grants and small loans where assistance cannot be procured from other sources.
  •  
  • * Harmonia Benevolent Association (German)
  •  
  • * Hessian-Darmstadter Benevolent Association
  •  
  • * Home for Aged and Destitute Females
       Opened in 1858. Building on Rhode Island Street near Niagara.
  •  
  • * Home for the Friendless
       1500 Main Street
  •  
  • * Homestead Lodging House
      84 and 86 Lloyd Street
    Maintained by the Christian Homestead Association.
  •  
  • * Ingleside Home
      70 Harvard Place
    Incorporated in 1869. This institution was organized for the purpose of reclaiming erring women. They are cared for, provided with employment, instruction, food, clothing and needed medical attention.
  •  
  • * Italian Union Benevolent Society of Buffalo
       Organized May 20, 1874.
  •  
  • * Ladies' Hospital Association
  •  
  • * Le Couteulx St. Mary's Institution for the Instruction of Deaf Mutes
       125 Edward Street.
  •  
  • * Marine Engineers' Beneficial Association
  •  
  • * Monastery of the Good Shepherd
      (also called Magdalene Asylum)
       485 Best Street
    A Mother Superior is in charge, with 45 professed sisters and 105 penitents. At the same place and under the same direction is the Catholic Protectory for Girls.
  •  
  • * North Buffalo Catholic Association
       corner Dearborn and Amherst Streets
    Organized in 1885. Incorporated May, 1888.
  •  
  • * Parkside Sanitarium
  •  
  • * Prevoyance Benevolent Association
  •  
  • * Prison-Gate Mission
       The object of this organization is to extend a helping hand to those leaving the penitentiary, jail, etc., and to start them on the way to do right.
  •  
  • * Protectory for Wayward Girls
       485 Best Street
    Under the direction of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd.
  •  
  • * Providence Retreat
       On Main Street near Humbolt Parkway.
    Under the charge of fourteen Sisters of Charity. For the treatment of the insane.
  •  
  • * Rheinpfaelzer Benevolent Association
  •  
  • * St. Agnes Training School for Girls
  •  
  • * Sun Cure Sanitorium
       East Aurora Village
  •  
  • * St. Felix Home for Polish Girls
  •  
  • * St. Francis Asylum
       337 Pine Street
    For aged and destitute persons, without distinction of nationality or religion. Accomodates 300 inmates. Governed by eighteen Sisters of St. Francis.
  •  
  • * St. John's Protectory
       West Seneca, in charge of the Brothers of the Holy Infancy, and seventeen Sisters of St. Joseph have charge of the children under the superintendence of Rev. N. H. Baker. The average number of boys cared for is 325.
    (see 1930 census here)
  •  
  • * St. Joseph's Male Orphan Asylum
       West Seneca, N.Y.
    Opened August, 1845; incorporated August 2, 1851. To care for orphan children, over 200 being accomodated. Any boy between the ages of four and 15 years may be admitted by applying to Rev. W. H. Baker. Supported by appropriations from the Board of Supervisors, relatives of the children, and church societies.
    (see 1930 census here)
  •  
  • * St. Martha's Home for Non-Dependent Women and Working Girls
  •  
  • * St. Mary's Asylum for Widows, Foundlings and Infants
       126 Edward Street, was organized by the Sisters of Charity in 1854. An Asylum where infants and widows may procure a home. Children are never kept over seven years. A charge of $5 per week is required for board, but persons having no means of paying are also taken.
  •  
  • * St. Michael's Benevolent Society
  •  
  • * St. Rose of Lima Home
  •  
  • * St. Vincent's Female Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum
       at 1313 Main Street, was built in 1848, and is a three-story building. There are 1840 orphans cared for in the asylum, which is under the direction of the Sisters of Charity.
  •  
  • * St. Vincent De Paul Conference of St. Michael's Church
  •  
  • * Salvation Army Lodging House
       111-113 Commercial Street; known as "The Ark." Receives men able to pay and men sent by ticket.
  •  
  • * Schwaebischer Benevolent Association
  •  
  • * Sisterhood of Zion, Hebrew Board of Charity
       headquarters, 456 Jefferson Street. Operating under the Sisterhood is the Daughters of the Star.
  •  
  • * Soceta Fratellanza Union Di Sanfele
  •  
  • * St. Augustinus Verein Benevolent Association
  •  
  • * State Charities Aid Association
       organized in 1872
  •  
  • * Ukranian Home
  •  
  • * Washington Benevolent Association
  •  
  • * The Wayfare
  •  
  • * Welcome Hall
       at 307 Seneca Street
    Organized November 1, 1894. The object of the Association is to secure employment for the poor, and give them temporary aid. There are about 100 members, and the Hall is in charge of a matron.
  •  
  • * Westminster House
       Organized September, 1894. Occupies 4 cottages at 424 Adams Street, running through to Monroe.
  •  
  • * Women's Christian Association
  •  
  • * Working Boys Home of the Sacred Heart
       34 Niagara Square.




USGenNet,
the first and only nonprofit
historical-genealogical web hosting service on the Internet!
Support Free-access Online History and Genealogy.
Support USGenNet!


This page last updated on  Thursday, January 02, 2014
Today is Sunday, December 17, 2017

USGenNet Inc., 2004 - 2017, All Rights Reserved