USGenNet, Inc.

COUNTY LIST

- Erie County -

Courthouse History and Resources

 

   By the act of March 11, 1808, erecting the co. of Niagara, Buffalo was named the co. seat, on condition that the Holland Land Company deed to the county not less than half an acre of land for a site for the public buildings, and erect thereon a courthouse and jail. The company complied with these conditions, and erected, in 1810, a wooden courthouse and a stone jail. In the mean time the courts were held at the house of Joseph Langdon. The courthouse was burned by the British in 1813. Soon after the close of the war, a new one was erected on Washington St., fronting La Fayette Park. The first officers of Erie co. were Sam'l Wilkeson, First Judge; John G. Camp, Sheriff; James L. Barton, Co. Clerk; and Roswell Chapin, Surrogate.

   The present courthouse was built in 1850, at a cost of $18,000. The commissioners under whose supervision it was erected were Albert H. Tracy, Ralph Plumb, and Timothy A. Hopkins.

(Source: Gazeteer of the State of New York; J. H. French - 1860)

  • ERIE COUNTY CLERK
    25 Delaware Avenue
    Buffalo, New York 14202
      - Deeds, naturalizaton records (1827 - 1929)
      - Marriages (1878 - 1935)
  •  
  •  
  • ERIE COUNTY SURROGATE COURT
    92 Franklin Street
    Buffalo, New York 14202
      - Will, probate, trust & guardianship records




USGenNet,
the first and only nonprofit
historical-genealogical web hosting service on the Internet!
Support Free-access Online History and Genealogy.
Support USGenNet!


This page last updated on  Sunday, January 05, 2014
Today is Monday, December 18, 2017

USGenNet Inc., 2004 - 2017, All Rights Reserved