Portrait and biographical album of Newayco (sp) County, Mich.
containing portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and
representative citizens of the county, together with portraits
and biographies of all the governors of Michigan and of the
presidents of the United States: also containing a complete
history of the county, from its earliest settlement to the
Published by Chapman Bros., Chicago, IL, 1884
The first move towards the maintenance of a poor-farm for the
unfortunate poor of the county was made March 1, 1859, when $50
were appropriated to purchase of Warren P. Adams the southwest
quarter of the northwest quarter of section 13, township 11
north, range 13 west (40 acres). The sum of $100 was also
appropriated for the purpose of erecting a log dwelling-house on
this farm. It was agreed that when this land should be wanted no
longer by the county, the same should be re-conveyed to Mr.
Adams, by his paying to the county the value of the improvements
made thereon by the county, and the original price paid for the
same, with interest. These very liberal terms (liberal terms for
the county, at least) were never carried out by Mr. Adams,
however, and the farm was sold to other parties. It was indeed a
poor farm, and was of but little use to the county. For a
number of years after this, the poor were let by contract to
Jan. 22, 1873, the Board purchased as a poor farm the west half
of the southeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section 30,
and 25 acres off the north side of the southwest quarter of the
northeast quarter of section 30, in township 12 north, range 12
This tract, 45 acres, was purchased of Milton N. Nelson, for
$500, and subject to a mortgage of $500. Farming was carried on
rather on a small scale, for some years. Jan. 5, 1875, the Board
authorized the construction of a suitable building for the sick
and insane poor, and ordered that the farming tools and wagon on
the poor farm be sold.
In October, 1881, it was decided to purchase another poor farm.
The Board's committee, after examining several farms, recommended
the purchase of 140 acres belonging to G. Reeves, a mile and a
half east of Fremont. This farm contained 90 acres cleared of
stumps, a large barn, two large orchards, and 25 acres of wheat.
This farm was accordingly purchased, at $5,500, and is now the
home of those who become dependent upon Newaygo County's charity.